Monday, January 29, 2007

Big Night for the Brits

Last night at the 13th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, in one of the most competitive years in film to come, few took home an award, however, five awards went to British actors.
Hugh Laurie, took home his first Actor for "House M.D.," after losing out to Kiefer Sutherland last year for Most Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series. Jeremy Irons, who appeared to be extremely surprised, took home his first Actor, for Most Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries for "Elizabeth I" as did his co-star, Helen Mirren. Mirren nabbed two Actors, Most Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries for "Elizabeth I" and Most Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role for "The Queen." She also won two Golden Globes for the same performances earlier this month. Dame Julie Andrews, however, was the main event of the night, being honored with a Life Achievement Award. The award was presented beautifully by Anne Hathaway, and Andrews was as stunning as ever and graciously accepted her award saying, "I have so much joy in my work, and these days I've come to understand that that joy is all about the giving. And you, ladies and gentleman, have given me an evening that I shall just treasure all my life. Thank you so much."
For more information on the 2007 SAG Awards go to http://www.sagawards.com/index.htm.

No comments: